The new Lord & Company 2+2(s) LC 300 is a compact cellular transceiver for monitoring equipment that sends real-time alarms and status updates via an online portal. There’s no need to wait for updates via an auto-dialer or other outdated technology – the transceiver uses cellular signals to instantly send information.
Figure 1. The 2+2(s) transceiver
In addition to alarming on status changes, the system keeps track of on-time and digital input cycles to help when monitoring pump, fan, or compressor run-times and duty cycles. Its analog inputs can alarm on high or low conditions and are useful for monitoring temperatures, pressures, tank levels or flow rates. Additionally, the unit monitors input power voltage and provides a battery backup, enabling it to alarm on the main power voltage level or failure and continue operating without main power.
The 2+2(s) sends real-time data to an online portal, displaying the location and operating status for your monitored equipment. If desired, you can set up the portal to immediately send updates/alarms via SMS text, messages, and emails. It permanently logs every event, providing valuable historical data that you can analyze via powerful built-in reporting features. View the video demo below for a walk-through of the hardware and online portal, which demonstrate the breadth of the 2+2’s capabilities.
If you’re ready to learn how the 2+2(s) can meet your specific needs, contact us today.
Lord & Company is a proven systems integrator providing control, monitoring, and information systems for improved, expanded, or new municipal water and wastewater treatments plants, industrial processes, or radio communication systems.
One critical component of these systems is SCADA technology. To understand the importance of a reliable SCADA solution, we will consider three things: current challenges around SCADA systems, key factors in successful systems, and how to choose a reliable solution partner.
Understand Challenges Surrounding SCADA Systems
In the vast networks of municipal water and wastewater plants, industrial operations, or radio systems, we know that SCADA systems are critical to uphold communication. Effective communication systems help organizations reach to remote locations and relieve those remote locations of the burden of requiring additional manpower. However, the time and costs associated with operating typical SCADA systems cause massive headaches for owners looking for seamless control, monitoring, and information systems.
With these challenges in mind, we created SMS (SCADA Made Simple) to offer an easy-to-use HMI solution that brings the benefits of SCADA technology.
Consider Critical Factors for Successful SCADA Solutions
Because SCADA systems manage many processes and withstand much interaction from operators, organizations need a SCADA solution that is secure, robust, and reliable.
SMS SCADA features a robust user interface that allows for information and data communication between monitored systems and the user. It allows operators to send and receive data, and control alarms and status through a user-friendly user interface. It saves time and money by using a cloud-based platform to mitigate the constant hardware and software upgrades required to maintain typical SCADA systems. With a highly secure data center served by a Tier 1 premium bandwidth supplier, Lord & Company has created an integrated solution with dual redundant servers for a safe, robust, reliable HMI solution
SMS SCADA is supported by our 90,000 sq. ft. data center with up to 25,000 servers. High-security data centers with onsite physical and electronic monitoring feature SSAE-16 and HIPPA compliance, and are Safe Harbor Certified.
Choose a Reliable SCADA Solution Provider
At Lord and Company, we are experienced in RF protocols, wireless technology, and the systems relying on your wireless network. Our teams use combined knowledge to help leading companies effectively use wireless communications for dependable and protected SCADA systems with solutions like SMS SCADA. Our CSIA certification, vast network of industry partnerships, and proven experience with large municipal water and wastewater systems like that of Brunswick County, NC, and fire, police, and EMS radio control systems have lead customers to trust working with us at Lord & Company time and again.
Lord And Company, Inc recently completed 3 Weeks of Motorola Toolbox, STS and Wonderware Intouch training for our highly valued customer in the North East. Training was conducted in co-operation with Motorola Solutions, Inc. 12 technical personnel each week for a total of 36 personnel were trained at a convenient facility in Brooklyn, NY. This training was specific to the customer’s System’s hardware, applications and software. Training format included a daily mixture of instructor Presentation and Hands On Lab (8 Labs) with Instructor support.
- Motorola MOSCAD Basics: The course provided knowledge for Toolbox software application backup methods, basic use of and troubleshooting with the Toolbox software, replacement procedures for hardware and reloading of the application programs and configuration files.
- Motorola MOSCAD Advanced Training: Advanced level provided a detailed understanding of the System and Network Configuration, the data tables and ladder programming with procedures for online monitoring of programs and data tables.
- Introduction to Motorola System Tool Suite ”STS” Software for ACE3600 and the differences between STS and Toolbox.
- Motorola STS/ACE3600 Basics: This course provided knowledge for STS software application backup methods, basic use of and troubleshooting with the STS software, replacement procedures for hardware and reloading of the application programs and configuration files.
- Motorola ACE3600 Advanced Training: Advanced level provided a detailed understanding of the System and Network Configuration, the data tables and ladder programming with procedures for online monitoring of programs and data tables.
- Setup and Troubleshooting with a Protocol Analyzer: The course provided the purpose for and instructions of how to setup a protocol analyzer and how to export and interpret the data.
- SCADA System Hardware, Software and Server Basics: The course provided an understanding of the functions of the hardware and software utilized in the system and how it communicates with the Motorola ACE3600 and MOSCAD processors. Includes procedures for rebooting the systems, making system backups and hard drive and data management.
- Wonderware Intouch Basics: This course provided an understanding of the Tag Dictionary db, event logger, Modbus driver configuration for communicating to the FIU/FEP’s, links to the graphics screens and graphics development.
- Lab Setup:
- Twelve (12) Laptops with Motorola System Tool Suite ”STS” Software for ACE3600 , Motorola Toolbox 9.503 Software and Wonderware Intouch software.
- Six (6) MOSCAD RTU’s with 420 Processor, PS and I/O modules and configured and tested for comm to rental PC’s. One RTU per two students.
- Six (6) ACE3600 RTU’s with Processor, PS and I/O modules and configured and tested for comm to rental PC’s. One RTU per two students.
A Big Thank You to the following Team members:
- Kenny Brooks for configuring the Laptops & PLC’s and setting up the lab in our Fort Mill, SC Training Facility. This setup was invaluable to get the training flow synchronized for optimal learning.
- Brooke Morris, for coordinating the shipment of equipment under complex delivery requirements.
- Our Trainers, James Owens (Week 1), Michael Missaggia (Week 2) and Rafael Balderrama (Week 3) for extraordinary team work, combining all the different materials and co-coordinating amongst each other, so everyone could provide the same level of exceptional training.
A Special mention and Thank You to Dana Albina from Motorola Solutions, Inc for providing Training Site and managing logistics in Brooklyn, NY.
Figure 1: Lab Setup for Internal Testing at Lord And Company, Inc Training Facility.
Credit: Kenny Brooks
Figure 2: Reception Area at Training Facility in Brooklyn, NY.
Credit: Dana Albina, Motorola Solutions, Inc
Figure 3: Training Facility in Brooklyn, NY.
Credit: Dana Albina, Motorola Solutions, Inc
Lab Instruction – Slide Samples
Figure 4: Lab 7: STS Setup – Creating New Project Slide.
Figure 5: Lab 7: STS Setup – Compiling Application Sample.
As always, we tried to meet our Goal of Starting and Finishing with Excellence. With a Great Team and Team Work, I believe WE did.
Project Manager, PMP.